Re: Hardware Error Kernel Mini-Summit

From: Russ Anderson
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 12:21:44 EST

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:03:24AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> > I'm not ready to believe the average person that is running linux
> > is too stupid to understand the difference between a hardware
> > error and a software error.
>
> Experience disagrees with you (that is not sure about average,
> but at least there's a significant portion)
>
> Also again today there are other reasons for it.

I agree with Andi. While there are a wire range of users, the
vast majority know little about the hardware they are running
on. Even in commercial settings, where users/admins are better
educated, there is little time to do detailed error analysis.

The more errors are detected/analyzed/corrected/recovered, the
better it is for everyone.

> > > Really to do anything useful with them you need trends
> > > and automatic actions (like predictive page offlining)
> >
> > Not at all, and I don't have a clue where you start thinking
> > predictive page offlining makes the least bit of sense. Broken
> > or even weak bits are rarely the common reason for ECC errors.
>
> There are various studies that disagree with you on that.

Having the infrastructure to automatically off-line pages
is a good thing. The details of where to set the predictive
threshold likely will be hardware specific (different DIMM
types failing at different rates). It needs to be adjustable.

> > > A log isn't really a good format for that
> >
> > A log is a fine format for realizing you have a problem. A
>
> A low steady rate of corrected errors on a large system
> is expected. In fact if you look at the memory error log.
> of a large system (towards TBs) it nearly always has some
> memory related events.

Yes, there are certainly examples of that.

> In this case a log is not really useful. What you need
> is useful thresholds and a good summary.

The larger the system the more important a good summary is.

> > - Errors that occur frequently. That is broken hardware of one time or
> > another. I want to know about that so I can schedule down time to replace
> > my memory before I get an uncorrected ECC error. Errors of this kind
> > are likely happening frequently enough as to impact performance.
>
> Same issue here: if something is truly broken it floods
> you with errors.
>
> First this costs a lot of time to process and it does not
> actually tell you anything useful because most errors in a flood
> are similar.
>
> Basically you don't care if you have 100 or 1000 errors,
> and you definitely don't want all the of the errors filling up
> your disk and using up your CPU.
>
> Again a threshold with an action is much more useful here.

Yes, good points.

--
Russ Anderson, OS RAS/Partitioning Project Lead
SGI - Silicon Graphics Inc rja@xxxxxxx