Re: perf: relative path to source for perf probe?

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 17:46:34 EST

Em Thu, May 13, 2010 at 05:23:14PM -0400, Masami Hiramatsu escreveu:
> Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> > Em Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:01:10PM +0200, Chase Douglas escreveu:

> >> After reading this some more, I think we are talking about two
> >> different things. I think your notes above are referring to locating
> >> the vmlinux image and other debug symbols. This seems to work fine for
> >> me using the -k flag.
> >
> > What about finding the associated modules?
> >
> >> However, I'm encountering an issue where the source code location
> >> isn't found. I think this is fairly specific to the probe command of
> >> perf, which is fairly new, so maybe it's missing the same level of
> >> support that the symbol finding code has?
> >
> > Annotation needs it, in top, report, too.
> >
> > But probably (haven't looked at the sources) the way to specify it will
> > be different, since we rely on objdump to do the disassembly, we need to
> > inform it where the sources are, but look at the source of all this, the
> > relevant DWARF tags:
> >
> > <0><b>: Abbrev Number: 1 (DW_TAG_compile_unit)
> > < c> DW_AT_stmt_list : 0x0
> > <10> DW_AT_ranges : 0x0
> > <14> DW_AT_name : /home/acme_unencrypted/git/linux-2.6-tip/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S
> > <57> DW_AT_comp_dir : /home/acme_unencrypted/git/build/v2.6.34-rc6-
>
> Actually, these doesn't help us so much. DW_AT_name shows the absolute path
> of source file (and perf probe already have it), and DW_AT_comp_dir just
> shows where the object code has been stored (or where the make command ran).

IOW:

real_path = user_provided_path + (DW_AT_name - DW_AT_comp_dir)

+ == concat

- remove initial string

if the project is build in place, i.e. in the kernel case, when one
doesn't use 'make O='

But then, given user_provided_path what we can do is to find a match
from the end of DW_AT_name, thus infering the missing (non-existent in
DWARF) DW_AT_source_dir tag :-)

> In this case (after compiling kernel, user moved its source into another
> directory), we have to find the top directory of this source code.
>
> Imagine that, if user compiled code under /home/user/git-ksrc/, and
> it was moved under /usr/src/2.6.x/, perf probe will be given an option
> '-s /usr/src/2.6.x/'.

So, for the DW_AT_name example above, we would have these files:

At build time (DW_AT_name):

/home/acme_unencrypted/git/linux-2.6-tip/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S

And at analysis time (using the path where the user moved all the source
tree):

/usr/src/2.6.x/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S

Putting then side by side:

/home/acme_unencrypted/git/linux-2.6-tip/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S
/usr/src/2.6.x/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S

So know we know what DW_AT_source_dir is.

Implementation is left to the reader 8-)

- Arnaldo