Re: [git pull] Input updates for 2.6.34-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 12:18:47 EST

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> From what I remember (it was a few weeks old thread) we were hanging
> when trying to read from the controller in i8042_flush(). Normally, if
> controller isn't there we'd get a stream of 0xff which will never
> "clear" and so after 32 reads we give up and abort controller
> initialization. But on Bastien's box it just sits there.

Is there a web interface to some archive for linux-input (or was this
thread on lkml)?

Anyway, the fact that apparently pressing the power button makes it come
alive again implies that it's likely SCI/SMI-related. Which is not
entirely unexpected if there is some crazy SMM thing going on. But
presumably whatever buggy Apple code is _supposed_ to work for Windows, so
I wonder what bug that quite simple status/data register read could
possibly trigger.

Is it the status read or the data read that causes problems, and is it the
first one or after doing a few? A couple of printk's in that i8042_flush()
routine should tell us.

Linus