Re: [stable] [113/197] x86, cacheinfo: Calculate L3 indices

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 01:26:29 EST

On Wed, 12 May 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> >> So, was there ever a patch applied that fixed the bug that Jiri found in
> >> the stable kernels with this original patch that I could apply?
> >>

> > Sounds like this patch in -tip should be promoted to mainline/stable...
> > could the AMD people please confirm?
> >

> Specifically, "waiting to hit mainline" is not an option since they are
> currently queued for .35, but we need a minimal fix in .34 -- this is
> the "stable backport". If this "stable backport" is simply a subset of
> the patch series then let me know which ones should be moved to urgent
> and sent to Linus immediately. I obviously don't have access to a setup
> which can replicate this particular problem.

One is already there -- 0e152cd7c16832bd5cadee0c2e41d9959bc9b6f9. This
particular one solely was enough to fix the problem I have been hitting.

Plus there is f2b20e41407fccfcf ("x86, cacheinfo: Turn off L3 cache
index disable feature in virtualized environments") in -tip tree, which
fixes a crash of similar nature I have been seeing on bare metal, but for
virtualized environments.
This one might be considered for .34/stable still.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.