Re: [RFC] perf: perf record sets inherit by default

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 11:13:30 EST

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:00 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> Humm, since for -C and -a using -i doesn't make sense, I guess it should
> be off by default and only be auto-activated if we don't specify any
> option, i.e. when using it like:
>
> perf record ./hackbench
>
> What do you think?

-ENOPARSE

-a/-C usage creates per-cpu counters and will thus ignore any and all
perf_event_attr::inherit state.

Your above suggestion would still have inherit enabled by default, and
would thus not change anything.

The thing is that perf-record defaults to inherited per-task-per-cpu
counters, which, I think, is a reasonable default, just sub-optimal for
single threaded/!forking subjects.

So what would make sense is for -i to mean --no-inherit, and for !
inherit create a per-task counter instead of a per-task-per-cpu counter.