Marvell eSATA - 88SE6121 on Asus M3A79-T Deluxe - not in AHCI

From: Phil Reynolds
Date: Sun May 09 2010 - 10:55:17 EST

I have recently had cause to start using the eSATA port on my motherboard, an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, but have found that it is not in AHCI mode and therefore not hotplug capable. There are no settings for the Marvell 88SE6121 controller available, other than simply whether it is enabled or not.

I gather from reading elsewhere that the kernel can put this controller into AHCI - I found a patch but found it was already present in the kernel in Debian lenny's backports. It is their version 2.6.32-bpo.3 - not entirely sure which exact source version this is built from. However, this patch does not work on this motherboard - either that or I have to make it active somehow, and the method of doing so is not obvious.

Of course, I could be missing something simple - if so, please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction.

However, if further information or testing is required, I am more than happy to assist in any way I can.

I am not on the linux-kernel mailing list at present, so please CC any replies to the address I sent this from.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--
Phil Reynolds
email: phil-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx