Re: Documentation/credentials.txt

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Apr 23 2010 - 20:14:56 EST

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 06:55:33PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the section 'ACCESSING ANOTHER TASK'S CREDENTIALS', the file
> Documentation/credentials.txt says:
>
> > A function need not get RCU read lock to use __task_cred() if it is holding a
> > spinlock at the time as this implicitly holds the RCU read lock.
>
> AIUI, that is not actually right any more, is it? A spinlock does not
> suffice as it does not necessarily imply an RCU read-side critical section
> (anymore). Of course the spinlock specifically protecting updates would
> suffice, but that's not what this is saying.
>
> Am I way off base?

You are absolutely correct, good catch!!!

Now, a spinlock still does imply an RCU read-side critical section given
the following configuration options:

o !CONFIG_PREEMPT

o CONFIG_PREEMPT && CONFIG_TREE_RCU

o CONFIG_PREEMPT && CONFIG_TINY_RCU

However, relying on this is usually bad practice, as such code is prone
to failure given the following configuration options:

o CONFIG_PREEMPT && CONFIG_TREE_PREEMPT_RCU

o CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT (given the -rt patchset)

And when I get my act together and complete CONFIG_TINY_PREEMPT_RCU,
then CONFIG_PREEMPT && CONFIG_TINY_PREEMPT_RCU will also invalidate
the assumption that holding a spinlock acts as an RCU read-side
critical section.

Did you want to submit a patch for this?

Thanx, Paul