Re: Considerations on sched APIs under RT patch

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Apr 22 2010 - 12:28:15 EST

From: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~anderson/papers/rtlws09.pdf

"Regarding the frequently voiced objections to G-
EDFâs viability in a ârealâ system, it should be noted that
xnu, the kernel underlying Appleâs multimedia-friendly
OS X, has been relying on G-EDF to support real-time
applications on multiprocessors for several years [5]."

"[5] Apple Inc. xnu source code.
http://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/.";

> > Implementing this as userspace/middleware seems daft. But if your
> > controlling process has a global affinity mask and runs as the highest
> > available userspace process priority its still all valid.
>
> It is how it is implemented now, and how it works under VXWorks!

But that does not, and can not, provide proper isolation and bandwidth
guarantees since there could be runnable tasks outside the scope of the
middleware.