Re: [Patch 1/1] init: Provide a kernel start parameter to increasepid_max v2

From: Mike Travis
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 13:54:31 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On 04/21/2010 12:59 PM, Hedi Berriche wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:20 Alan Cox wrote:
|> of 32k will not be enough. A system with 1664 CPU's, there are 25163 processes
|> started before the login prompt. It's estimated that with 2048 CPU's we will pass
|
| Is that perhaps the bug not the 32K limit?

Doubt it: I just checked on an *idle* 1664 CPUs system and I can see 26844
tasks, all but few being kernel threads.

That is 15 kernel threads per CPU.

Reducing the number of kernel threads sounds like a
useful thing to do.

I'm doing more research but all the udev modprobes seem to spawn
quite a few tasks. And even though they go away, when the pid
pool is limited, I'm guessing many of them are waiting.

On the last test I did yesterday, the pid # was up in the 77000
range at the login prompt (I started the 1664 cpu system with
pid_max=128k).