uml: pthreads instead of manual clone()?

From: Jan Kiszka
Date: Sun Apr 18 2010 - 13:50:22 EST

Hi Jeff,

is there (still) any reason to use explicit clone() instead of pthreads
to spawn UML kernel threads?

While playing with a patch to finally move os_nsecs to proper
CLOCK_MONOTONIC, I noticed some subtle side-effect: We need to link
against librt for clock_gettime, but that indirectly drags in
libpthread. Now gdb gets unhappy when you try to debug the UML kernel.
It assumes that pthreads are used, but fails to find their IDs and
terminates the session. So the obvious approach appears to be converting
kernel threads to pthreads - if there aren't any know pitfalls.

Jan