Re: useless node/has_cpu sysfs attribute

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 12:00:58 EST

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Andreas Herrmann wrote:

> Why don't we try to call node_clear_state(node, N_CPU)
> anywhere? (Maybe there is such a call and I missed it.)

There is none since it would require a scan of all processors to see if a
certain node is still used. Seems that this was not implemented.

> Do we want to list each node with this attribute that has a CPU
> regardless whether the CPU is actually offline or online?

Nope.

> That is the reason why I wanted to know who is relying on this
> attribute and what are the use cases of it.

Obviously not many right now since the breakage went unnoticed. There is
certainly going to be more usage with the high end processors requiring
NUMA. Would be glad if you could clear up the situation, fix breakage and
implement missing functionality.