Re: USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 07:53:18 EST

> Which is exactly what usb_buffer_alloc() does already. So at least for
> x86 you say this is the right thing to do? However, we don't necessarily
> need coherent memory on other platforms, which is why I hessitate to
> enforce that type of memory for all transfer_buffer allocations.

Yes today it's faster at least.

Probably we should have better interfaces for this, but we don't.

> > Or just use GFP_KERNEL and pci_map_* later.
>
> The USB core does this already, but at least on Pedro's machine, this
> seems unsufficient. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the issue yet, even
> with more than 4GB of RAM installed.

Then something must be broken in Pedro's system and likely other drivers
will also not work. I don't think it should be worked around in the USB layer.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.