Re: staging: udlfb -- staging version does not work, external does

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Apr 11 2010 - 11:07:34 EST

Hi!

> Thanks for the bug report!

You are welcome :-).

> > I tried getting udlfb to work in 2.6.34-rc*, and could not.
>
> What CPU arch are you on, and is it 32 or 64?

32bit Intel Core Duo.

> > 1) it hates vga console. If text-mode vga console is used (not
> > vesafb), system dies immeditaly during insmod or during boot if
> > monolithic kernel is used.
>
> It is a kernel oops? Where does the crash happen? Can you email any
> udlfb-specific output in logs (especially /var/log/kern.log)?

It just locks :-(.

> > 2) it does not display anything. With vesafb, it will not lockup the
> > system, and /dev/fb1 is created... Unfortunately, all I get is green
> > screen.
>
> The green screen means udlfb has initialized device and started
> rendering. So what this likely means is everything is fine -- just
> fbcon has matched against fb0, which is why it's not using the fb1
> udlfb screen.

Yep, but I still should be able to produce output on it.

> > (I tried testing with cat /bin/bash > /dev/fb1 and cat /dev/fb0 >
> > /dev/fb1).
>
> I don't think redirects like that will work. The fbcon module loads
> against one fb, and can only be switch with utilities like "fbset"

IMO they should work. First one should fill the screen with ~random
noise, and second should copy graphical representation on fb0 to
fb1. If they have same resolution and color depth, I should be looking
at copy of my console...

(And it does work with this driver:

> > So I tried
> >
> >    Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it