Re: [GIT, RFC] Killing the Big Kernel Lock

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sat Apr 10 2010 - 11:13:56 EST

On 27 Mar, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2010 00:47:33 Stefan Richter wrote:
>> firewire-core and raw1394 do not actually require the BKL, they only
>> miss to declare their files as not seekable. I will post patches which
>> change these accordingly.
>
> Your patches look good, but it would be helpful to also set .llseek = no_llseek
> in the file operations, because that is much easier to grep for than
> only the nonseekable_open. While it's technically a NOP on the presence of
> nonseekable_open, it will help that I don't accidentally apply my patch on
> top of yours.

I pushed modified versions of these patches out to linux1394-2.6.git now
(master and for-next branch, on top of unrelated firewire updates). They
contain the explicit .llseek = no_llseek now.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ieee1394/linux1394-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3ac26b2ee30005930117fe6a180c139c5f300faf
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ieee1394/linux1394-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=7cfe21aae155c26193fde617dc61d37a79a63f86
--
Stefan Richter