Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernelIR system?

From: Andy Walls
Date: Fri Apr 09 2010 - 18:13:42 EST

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 17:55 -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [1] Basically, a keycode (like KEY_POWER) could be used to wake up the machine. So, by
> > associating some scancode to KEY_POWER via ir-core, the driver can program the hardware
> > to wake up the machine with the corresponding scancode. I can't see a need for a change at
> > ir-core to implement such behavior. Of course, some attributes at sysfs can be added
> > to enable or disable this feature, and to control the associated logic, but we first
> > need to implement the wakeup feature at the hardware driver, and then adding some logic
> > at ir-core to add the non-hardware specific code there.
>
> Really? Have you actually seen any hardware where a particular scan
> code can be used to wake up the hardware? The only hardware I have
> seen has the ability to unsuspend on arrival of IR traffic, but you
> didn't have the granularity to dictate that it only wake up on
> particular scancodes.

The CX23888 and CX23102 can do it. Basically any IR pulse pattern your
heart desires; within reason. And any carrier freq you want too; within
reason.

But let's be real, the cx23885, cx231xx, and cx25840 modules are nowhere
near properly supporing suspend/resume for their main video and DMA
functions, AFAIK.

Regards,
Andy