Re: Failed to initialize MSI interrupts && ioremap reserve_memtype failed -22

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Thu Apr 08 2010 - 15:51:27 EST

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Is there a serious chance this is somehow related to the closed source
>>> nvidia driver? I could investigate switching to the in kernel driver
>>> although that might take me a little time to get to.
>>
>> Yeah, those symbols are from the NVIDIA driver. Seems like it's trying
>> to reserve part of memory in ACPI tables somehow?
>>
>> You might want to make sure you have the latest version (or just use
>> nouveau instead..)
>>

> I spent a few minutes looking at the Gentoo nouveau guide. I think I
> won't be able to do that before Sunday so if there's nothing else to
> reasonably look at and you're >50% sure that's the reason then I'll
> probably have to get back to you guys next Monday or so. (Assuming the
> guides are correct and it actually works.
>
> One question: If I simply remove the nvidia driver (either emerge -C
> or blacklist it) then assuming it doesn't load if I don't see the
> message we at least know it's involved in the problem, correct? That's
> very easy to do right now as a test.
>
> - Mark

OK - final follow up for today. I removed the nvidia driver completely
from the system and rebooted. No error messages in dmesg anymore, so
we solved on (bad kernel config on my part) and we understand the
second.

As far as I can tell so far there hasn't been actual problem running
nvidia and getting this error so I'll reinstall the driver for now and
then look into either a newer version from them or doing the tricky
stuff the Gentoo guide wants me to do for nouveau. (Or I suppose the
less tricky nouveau setup on an 2.6.34 kernel.)

Thanks!

- Mark