Re: system does not power off - how to debug?

From: Justin P. mattock
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 09:29:41 EST

On 04/07/2010 05:24 AM, Ãkos MarÃy wrote:
Justin,

Since this issue seems easily reproducible
the best way to find the issue is through
a bisect(hardest part is finding the last
good kernel),
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html

hope this helps,

hm, but wouldn't this assume that there is a kernel version, which
actually works?

Akos

nice!!, so there never was a good kernel version.
In this case I guess the right question is, is
what/where is the shutdown mechanism(in the kernel)
responsible for this and if possible is there already
some mechanism in place for this machine with this issue
i.g. I had to add my machines dmi info to reboot.c
in order for it to reboot properly.

Now keep in mind this could have nothing todo with
adding some dmi entry, this could somewhere else
(which the bisect could reveal(hopefully)).

as for debugging I normally use ohci1394_dma=early
you might be able to catch some strace towards the end
with this.

Justin P. Mattock