Re: [patch/rft] jbd2: tag journal writes as metadata I/O

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 14:36:29 EST

tytso@xxxxxxx writes:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:04:54PM -0400, Jeff Moyer wrote:
>>
>> So, I'm submitting this patch for comments and testing. I have a
>> similar patch for jbd that I will submit if folks agree that this is a
>> good idea.
>
> Added to the ext4 patch queue.
>
> What benchmark were you using to test small file writes? This looks
> good to me as well, but we might want to do some extra benchmarking
> just to be sure we're not accidentally introducing a performance
> regression.

iozone showed regressions for write and re-write in runs that include
fsync timings for small files (<8MB). Here's the command line used for
testing:

iozone -az -n 4k -g 2048m -y 1k -q 1m -e

I also ran fs_mark using the following command line:

fs_mark -S 1 -D 100 -N 1000 -d /mnt/test/fs_mark -s 65536 -t 1 -w 4096

I'll let you know if there are any regressions caused by this patch in
any of our other testing.

Cheers,
Jeff