Re: start_kernel(): bug: interrupts were enabled early

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 19:02:35 EST

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 12:06 +0100, David Howells wrote:
> Can we provide a kmem_cache_create_early()? One that takes no locks and gets
> cleaned up with the other __init stuff?

Yuck. I hate having to expose more APIs. Also the problem with that is
means callers have to know. So we need to propagate up all call chains
etc... (ie, radix_tree_init_early(), etc...)

This is pretty much exactly the discussion we had when moving sl*b
early, and back then, the final word from Linus (heh, for once he agreed
with me :-) was that this made no sense.

We can bury logic inside kmem_cache_create() though, it's not -that- a
hot path.

Cheers,
Ben.