Re: [RFC] KVM MMU: thinking of shadow page cache

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 12:45:53 EST

On 04/01/2010 12:05 PM, Xiao Guangrong wrote:

We've considered this in the past, it makes sense. The big question is
whether any guests actually map the same page table through PDEs with
different permissions (mapping the same page table through multiple PDEs
is very common, but always with the same permissions). Do you know of
any such guest?
I also don't know whether have such guest.
Maybe my idea is no good for current OS, thanks for your comments.

In fact there are plans to make kvm such a guest (when running in nested mode) - when we perform live migration we write-protect all guest pages, and it's reasonable to use the top-level shadow page to write protect all memory at once instead of iterating over all mmu pages. When that goes in, we should also implement your idea.