Re: start_kernel(): bug: interrupts were enabled early

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 21:19:15 EST

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 15:49 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> But these things are all utterly gross. The bottom line is that
> radix_tree_init() is manifestly unsuited to being called with local
> interrupts disabled. 773e3eb7b81e5ba13b5155dfb3bb75b8ce37f8f9 was
> just a wrong patch.

Except that powerpc (and now it seems x86) both want to use radix trees
for interrupt handling... At least on powerpc, we trick and use a linear
search until the radix trees are initialized, which we do later during
boot, but that somewhat sucks.

I believe sherry picking things like not calling radix_tree_init() is
going to fix one case today, until we have another one, and another one,
and etc...

I suspect we're better off fixing the root of the problem in down/up.

Cheers,
Ben.