Re: Config NO_BOOTMEM breaks my amd64 box

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 18:31:55 EST

On 03/31/2010 02:14 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Are you testing this btw with initramfs/initrds? I suspect lots of testing
> is being done by people on monolithic kernels, this is just a misc guess,
> considering I couldn't boot from when this landed until rc3 with this option
> on a basic 32-bit install on a dual-core 64-bit CPU, it suggested a
> hole of some sort
> in the test coverage.

Hi Dave,

The only bug report I remember getting from you had no details and was
every reason to believe it was being dealt with with the patchset which
did indeed go into -rc3 (and does address a problem with initramfs in
particular cases.)

Clearly James Morris' problem is something unrelated, and regardless of
course of action we need to track it down.

If you also are having problems with -rc3 we would really appreciate as
much detail as possible -- boot logs at the very minimum -- so we have
a chance to at all track down the problems that do exist.

-hpa