Re: pr_* versus dev_*

From: Joe Perches
Date: Tue Mar 30 2010 - 12:52:47 EST

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 19:07 +0300, Neshama Parhoti wrote:
> Which set of macros should I use in my driver ?
>
> pr_info, pr_err, etc... or dev_info, dev_err, etc. ?

Possibly all of them.

> what are the advantages of the dev_* macros over the pr_* macros
> (why does it take the device pointer as an argument) ?
>
> obviously I don't have access to my device pointer in all my functions..
> so pr_info is easier to use..
> but if it's wanted, obviously I can arrange to have my device pointer
> accessible..

You should also use dev_<level> where possible.
You should also use netdev_<level> and netif_<level> if your
device is a networking driver.
You should #define pr_fmt(fmt) KBUILD_MODNAME ": " fmt
to have a standard prefix for your driver.

Function Benefit

pr_<level>: Slightly shorter than printk(KERN_<LEVEL>)
Gets a standard prefix with pr_fmt
dev_<level>: Standardized device information:
dev_driver_string, then dev_name
dev_driver_string is the device's driver's name
if it is bound to a device. If the device is not
bound to a device, the name of the bus it is
attached to. If it is not attached to a bus but
has a class, the class name.
If no class, you'll find an empty dance card.
netdev_<level>: Appends struct net_device.name to dev_<level> prefix
Use dev_<level> until alloc_netdev or alloc_etherdev
has been called successfully.
netif_<level>: Test network interface message level (netif_msg_<foo>)
before calling netdev_<level>

Message logging with KERN_DEBUG levels are a bit more complicated:

These calls are optimized away and never printed unless
DEBUG is #defined or CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG is enabled.

pr_debug
dev_dbg
netdev_dbg
netif_dbg

To always have these emitted, use the appropriate printk calls

printk(KERN_DEBUG this does not get a standard prefix
use printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt) if desired
dev_printk(KERN_DEBUG
netdev_printk(KERN_DEBUG
netif_printk(priv, msg, KERN_DEBUG

There are _vdbg variants for even more verbose output if
VERBOSE_DEBUG is #defined.