Re: Network performance - iperf

From: Rick Jones
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 12:47:40 EST

I don't know how to set fixed socket buffer sizes in iperf, if you were running netperf though I would suggest fixing the socket buffer sizes with the test-specific -s (affects local) and -S (affects remote) options:

netperf -t TCP_STREAM -H <remote> -l 30 -- -s 32K -S 32K -m 32K

to test the hypothesis that the autotuning of the socket buffers/window size is allowing the windows to grow in the larger memory cases beyond what the TLB in your processor is comfortable with.

Particularly if you didn't see much degredation as RAM is increased on something like:

netperf -t TCP_RR -H <remote> -l 30 -- -r 1

which is a simple request/response test that will never try to have more than one packet in flight at a time, regardless of how large the window gets.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones
http://www.netperf.org/