Re: [patch 0/6] rcu head debugobjects

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sat Mar 27 2010 - 18:46:34 EST

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:32:33AM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an updated version of the rcu head debugobjects, following the comments
> I received in the last rounds.
>
> It applies on top of -tip, based on 2.6.34-rc2, commit
> 2e958f219d2b8d192d44e2472a214b3a93c44673
>
> Unless people have any objection, it should be ready to be merged. I think the
> appropriate maintainer to perform this merge would be Paul E. McKenney, because
> this patchset is RCU-related.

This should be very helpful in tracking down otherwise-painful bugs!!!
Thank you, Mathieu!!! I am happy to apply this, especially given Dave
Miller's Acked-by.

A few questions and comments:

o Patches 1/6, 2/6, 3/6: Was the intent for the three Subject
lines to read as follows?

[patch 1/6] Revert "net: remove INIT_RCU_HEAD() usage"
[patch 2/6] Revert "netfilter: don't use INIT_RCU_HEAD()"
[patch 3/6] Revert "net: don't use INIT_RCU_HEAD"

o Patch 4/6 looks good to me, and given that Thomas hasn't
complained, I am guessing that he is OK with it.

o Would it be possible to make this bisectable as follows?

a. Insert a new patch after current patch 4/6 that
defines destroy_rcu_head_on_stack(),
rcu_head_init_on_stack(), and rcu_head_init() with
their !CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_RCU_HEAD definitions.

b. Move current patch 6/6 to this position.

c. Move current patch 5/6 to this position, updating
to reflect the new patch added in (a) above.

o Patch 6/6: Would it be possible to use the object_is_on_stack()
function defined in include/linux/sched.h instead of passing
in the flag on_stack to bdi_work_init()? It looks like
fs/fs-writeback.c already includes include/linux/sched.h, so
shouldn't be a problem from a #include-hell viewpoint.

Please let me know if I am missing something on any of the above. If
these changes seem reasonable to you, please either submit a new patch
set or let me know that you are OK with me making these changes.

Thanx, Paul