Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 12:04:06 EST

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 16:01 +0100, Joerg Roedel wrote:

> What I meant was: perf-kernel puts the guest-name into every sample and
> perf-userspace accesses /sys/kvm/guest_name/fs/ later to resolve the
> symbols. I leave the question of how the guest-fs is exposed to the host
> out of this discussion. We should discuss this seperatly.

I'd much prefer a pid like suggested later, keeps the samples smaller.

But that said, we need guest kernel events like mmap and context
switches too, otherwise we simply can't make sense of guest userspace
addresses, we need to know the guest address space layout.

So aside from a filesystem content, we first need mmap and context
switch events to find the files we need to access.

And while I appreciate all the security talk, its basically pointless
anyway, the host can access it anyway, everybody agrees on that, but
still you're arguing the case..