Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Alexander Graf
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 10:24:11 EST

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 03:53 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>
>>> Someone needs to know about the new guest to fetch its symbols. Or do
>>> you want that part in the kernel too?
>>>

>> How about we add a virtio "guest file system access" device? The guest
>> would then expose its own file system using that device.
>>
>> On the host side this would simply be a -virtioguestfs
>> unix:/tmp/guest.fs and you'd get a unix socket that gives you full
>> access to the guest file system by using commands. I envision something
>> like:
>>

> The idea is to use a dedicated channel over virtio-serial. If the
> channel is present the file server can serve files over it.

The file server being a kernel module inside the guest? We want to be
able to serve things as early and hassle free as possible, so in this
case I agree with Ingo that a kernel module is superior.

>> SEND: GET /proc/version
>> RECV: Linux version 2.6.27.37-0.1-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version
>> 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP 2009-10-15
>> 14:56:58 +0200
>>
>> Now all we need is integration in perf to enumerate virtual machines
>> based on libvirt. If you want to run qemu-kvm directly, just go with
>> --guestfs=/tmp/guest.fs and perf could fetch all required information
>> automatically.
>>
>> This should solve all issues while staying 100% in user space, right?
>>

> Yeah, needs a fuse filesystem to populate the host namespace (kind of
> sshfs over virtio-serial).

I don't see why we need a fuse filesystem. We can of course create one
later on. But for now all you need is a user connecting to that socket.

Alex