Re: execve() returns ENOENT when ld-linux.so isn't found

From: drepper
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 09:49:55 EST

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:42, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
$ ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 olaf olaf 560165 2010-03-18 15:21 xwis
$ ./xwis
-bash: ./xwis: No such file or directory

Your shell should handle this. I'm not sure whether it's in the upstream bash (it should be) but I wrote a long, long time ago a patch which produces better messages. On my system I get:

$ ./u
bash: ./u: /some/path/does-not-exist: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

It doesn't really matter what the kernel returns. The shell should do its job and at least the RHEL/Fedora version does it for a long time now.