Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 16:02:27 EST

On 03/21/2010 09:17 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

Adding any new daemon to an existing guest is a deployment and usability
nightmare.

The logical conclusion of that is that everything should be built into the kernel. Where a failure brings the system down or worse. Where you have to bear the memory footprint whether you ever use the functionality or not. Where to update the functionality you need to deploy a new kernel (possibly introducing unrelated bugs) and reboot.

If userspace daemons are such a deployment and usability nightmare, maybe we should fix that instead.

The basic rule of good instrumentation is to be transparent. The moment we
have to modify the user-space of a guest just to monitor it, the purpose of
transparent instrumentation is defeated.

You have to modify the guest anyway by deploying a new kernel.

Please try think with the heads of our users and developers and dont suggest
some weird ivory-tower design that is totally impractical ...

inetd.d style 'drop a listener config here and it will be executed on connection' should work. The listener could come with the kernel package, though I don't think it's a good idea. module-init-tools doesn't and people have survived somehow.

And no, you have to code none of this, we'll do all the coding. The only thing
we are asking is for you to not stand in the way of good usability ...

Thanks.