Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 18:16:37 EST

* Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > So it's good enough to be in Fedora/RHEL but not good enough to be in
> > upstream glibc? How is that possible? Isnt that a double standard?
>
> Yes its a double standard
>
> Glibc has a higher standard than Fedora/RHEL.
>
> Just like the Ubuntu kernel ships various ugly unfit for upstream kernel
> drivers.

There's a world of a difference between a fugly driver and a glibc patch.

Also, we tend to upstream even fugly kernel drivers if they are important and
are deployed by a major distro - see Noveau.

> > kernel's fault. But glibc is certainly not being helpful in that situation
> > either and your earlier claim that you are only waiting for the patches is
> > rather dishonest.
>
> I am sure Ulrich is being totally honest, but send him the patches and
> you'll find out. Plus you will learn what the API should look like when you
> try and create them ...

I was there and extended/fixed bits of the kaio/libaio code when they were
written so yes i already know something about it. To say that the glibc
reaction was less than enthusiastic back then is a strong euphemism ;-)

So after 8 years some of the bits made its way into Fedora/RHEL.

I think this is a pretty good demonstration of the points i made ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo