Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 16:18:57 EST

* drepper@xxxxxxxxx <drepper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I didnt say it's glibc's fault - if then it's more of the kernel's fault
> > as most of the complexity is on that side. I said it's due to the
> > fundamental distance between the app that makes use of it, the library and
> > the kernel, and the resulting difficulties in getting a combined solution
> > out.
>
> This is wrong, too. Once there is a kernel patch that has a reasonable
> syscall interface it's easy enough to hack up the glibc side. [...]

Where 'reasonable' is defined by you, right?

As i said, the KAIO situation is mostly the kernel's fault, but you are a
pretty passive and unhelpful entity in this matter too, arent you?

For example, just to state the obvious: libaio has been written 8 years ago in
2002 and has been used in apps early on. Why arent those kernel APIs, while
not being a full/complete solution, supported by glibc, and wrapped to
pthreads based emulation on kernels that dont support it?

I'm not talking about a 100% full POSIX AIO implementation (the kernel side is
not complete enough for that) - i'm just talking about the APIs that libaio
and the kernel supports today.

Why isnt glibc itself making use of those AIO capabilities internally? (even
if it's not possible to support full POSIX AIO)

I checked today's glibc repo, and there's no sign of any of that:

glibc> git grep io_submit
glibc> git grep aio_context_t
glibc>

Zero, nil, nada.

Getting _something_ into glibc would certainly help move the situation. Glibc
itself using existing KAIO bits internally would help too and dont tell me
it's 100% unusable: it's certainly capable enough to run DB servers. glibc
using it would create further demand (and pressure, and incentives) for
improvements.

There were even glibc patches created by Ben LaHaise for some of these bits,
IIRC.

One can certainly make the argument that glibc not using _any_ of the current
KAIO capabilities harms its further development.

> [...] Don't try to artificially find an argument to support your thesis.

Charming argumentation style, i really missed it.

Thanks,

Ingo