Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 11:35:19 EST

Hello,

On 03/17/2010 12:23 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
>> So, using custom geometry doesn't help compatibility at all.
>
> Our partitioning tool still obey the integral cylinder rule ... we can
> argue about whether they should, but what we need is a strategy for
> fixing what is rather than what should be.

The updated ones don't anymore. They just align to 1MiB + whatever
the drive requests for offset (the offset-by-one thing). They will
basically behave the same as windows vista/7 ones, so it's already
fixed. What we can argue is whether adding CHS tricks on top to make
those larger alignments somewhat meaningful w/ CHS interpretation too,
which I'm objecting on the ground that it doesn't help compatibility
at all.

Thanks.

--
tejun