Re: [GIT PULL] Ambient Light Sensors subsystem

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sun Mar 07 2010 - 15:42:23 EST

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:51:07PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Dima Zavin wrote:
> >
> > Actually, accelerometers fit into that model fine. They have some
> > variable number of absolute axes (3, 6, etc.).
>
> In fact, they obviouslya also do end up being used exactly like joysticks
> in real life, and joysticks are commonly starting to have accelerometers
> in them (ie any modern game console controller).
>
> So treating an accelerometer like a joystick - regardless of whether it
> happens to be internal to the device or happens to be external in a
> separate controller - is not all that far-fetched anyway.

But the point is that not every accelerometer is a joystick. We have
hdaps and friends that have accelerometers inside but that is not their
main purpose (they do export a secondary joystick-like interface and
that is fine), and I am pretty sure that there are other users of
accelerometers in various systems.

I am retty sure that once we settle on the proper interface for such
sensors we should be able to write a bridge to input layer so they can
be easily used as [human] input devices in cases whether it is desired.

--
Dmitry