Re: [PULL] virtio

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Sun Mar 07 2010 - 06:09:20 EST

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:57:23AM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 07.03.2010, at 11:42, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>
> > Linus,
> > Please pull another virtio fix: this one fixes hotplug and
> > was supposed to be applied by Rusty already
> > (http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/11/30/451), but apparently got lost,
> > somehow.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > The following changes since commit 3119815912a220bdac943dfbdfee640414c0c611:
> > Michael S. Tsirkin (1):
> > virtio: fix out of range array access
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mst/vhost.git for-linus
> >
> > Michael S. Tsirkin (1):
> > virtio: set pci bus master enable bit
>
> This is still missing an identifier for the hypervisor. We need to know if the guest will ever set bus master enabled or not, so we can have a compat hack in qemu to not check for it.
>

> Alex

This patch fixes hotplug with qemu 0.11-0.12 which can't make use of a new
identifier without a time machine.

IMHO we can't add new identifiers in time for 2.6.34 anyway, so if you
want to do that, please send a patch and have it queued up for the next
release. But I don't think we need an identifier for compat hack.
Hypervisor can detect buggy guests when they set status to OK without
enabling bus master first.

Makes sense?

--
MST