Re: KVM usability

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Mar 07 2010 - 05:12:27 EST

On 03/07/2010 11:56 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
Hi Avi,

(slightly off-topic)

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
perf really is wonderful, but to be really competitive, and usable to more
developers, it needs to be in a graphical environment. I want 'perf report'
output to start out collapsed and drill down by clicking on a tree widget.
Clicking on a function name opens its definition. 'perf annotate' should
display annotations on my editor window, not in a pager. I should be able
to check events on a list, not using 'perf list'.
People keep bringing this up but I don't quite agree. Mac OS X has
"shark" which is pretty much what you describe above. However, having
used both, I prefer perf's simple UI for two reasons: it's much easier
to automate perf commands and text-based reports are superior for
sharing results (and keeping track of results when doing performance
optimizations).

Yes, you (and me as well). But most people are quite unlike new and me. There's a reason GUIs dominate today, and there are even a few kernel developers that don't use mutt for reading email.

Even for command-line-happy people, GUIs still have an advantage in that it is much easier to discover features by exploring the UI vs. reading manual pages.

That said, AFAICT, it should be pretty simple to implement a
shark-like UI with GTK as current perf code is pretty good fit for
that. I've pondered about doing that myself but quite frankly, I don't
see any big gains in that.

Because you are only interested in your own itches (which is perfectly legitimate, but will keep perf's userbase down).