Re: commit 554f76962d3a6eb5110415f1591aca83f96a84ae hangs USB forvmware 7.0.1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 17:40:46 EST

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Jeff Chua wrote:

> Linux version v2.6.33-5399-gcc7889f with reiser3 and vmware-7.0.1
>
> Starting vmware just hang even before displaying the main GUI. Reverting
> 554f76962d3a6eb5110415f1591aca83f96a84ae solves the problem.
>
> It seems vmware is trying to access the USB but this commit blocks it.
>
> So, is this a vmware problem or shall this be reverted?

It's almost certainly a deadlock through some path that wasn't tested.

Can you enable lockdep on that kernel when you run vmware, which should
give us a nice callchain etc, and hopefully make it very obvious what goes
on.

Reverting it is obviously an option, but with some more info maybe there's
a better solution.

(It may be that the deadlock is obvious to Oliver/Greg even without any
lockdep chains, of course, but still worth trying, I suspect)

Linus