Re: [git pull] drm request 3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 18:20:09 EST

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Its nouveau project not X not DRM, stop generalising the situation.

Is it really just nouveau? I've not looked, but I bet the intel driver and
the radeon driver have _exactly_ the same "oh, I'm the wrong version, I
will now kill myself" behavior.

I certainly seem to remember some similar issues with the intel driver
long long ago.

What would happen if I changed DRIVER_PATCHLEVEL to 1 for the i915 driver?
Would it try to handle it gracefully? Or are we in the same situation that
the intel driver guys can never fix anything fundamental without doing a
whole flag day?

Linus