Re: [git pull] drm request 2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 02 2010 - 19:34:43 EST

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Dave Airlie wrote:

> So can we get linux-next builds to build with *your* Kconfig? This should
> cut down the amount of crap you see considerably.

No.

Dave, _think_ about what you're saying.

The absolute last thing we want to do is to make it easier for crap to
flow through the system.

We don't want to make it easier to hide problems.

I think we might want to instead extend on the tests that linux-next does.
For example, STAGING should generally always compile.

There are exceptions - major "change the world" changes where staging
drivers might not be updated in as timely a manner as other drivers, but
they should be exceptions, not the rule.

If a driver really doesn't even compile, it should be marked BROKEN, not
STAGING.

Linus