Re: Performance regression in scsi sequential throughput (iozone)due to "e084b - page-allocator: preserve PFN ordering when__GFP_COLD is set"

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Tue Mar 02 2010 - 05:04:25 EST

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 05:52:25PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 03:19:34PM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:19:27PM +0100, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > > Eventually it might come down to a discussion of allocation priorities and
> > > we might even keep them as is and accept this issue - I still would prefer
> > > a good second chance implementation, other page cache allocation flags or
> > > something else that explicitly solves this issue.
> > >

> > In that line, the patch that replaced congestion_wait() with a waitqueue
> > makes some sense.
> >
> > > Mel's patch that replaces congestion_wait with a wait for the zone watermarks
> > > becoming available again is definitely a step in the right direction and
> > > should go into upstream and the long term support branches.
> >
> > I'll need to do a number of tests before I can move that upstream but I
> > don't think it's a merge candidate. Unfortunately, I'll be offline for a
> > week starting tomorrow so I won't be able to do the testing.
> >
> > When I get back, I'll revisit those patches with the view to pushing
> > them upstream. I hate to treat symptoms here without knowing the
> > underlying problem but this has been spinning in circles for ages with
> > little forward progress :(
>
> The zone pressure waitqueue patch makes sense.

I've just started the rebase and considering what sort of test is best
for it.

> We may even want to make
> it more strictly FIFO (eg. check upfront if there are waiters on the
> queue before allocating a page, and if yes then add ourself to the back
> of the waitqueue).

To be really strict about this, we'd have to check in the hot-path of the
per-cpu allocator which would be undesirable. We could check further in the
slow-path but I bet it'd be very rare that the logic would be triggered. For
a process to enter the FIFO due to waiters that were not yet woken up, the
system would have to be a) under heavy memory pressure b) reclaim taking such
a long time that check_zone_pressure() is not being called in time and c)
a process exiting or otherwise freeing memory such that the watermarks are
cleared without reclaim being involved.

This seems overkill but maybe you have a simplier case in mind?

> And also possibly even look at doing the wakeups in
> the page-freeing path. Although that might start adding too much
> overhead, so it's quite possible your sloppy-but-lighter timeout
> approach is preferable.

That's how I felt about it. I was going to put another check_zone_pressure()
check after a pcp drain but thought it was too expensive.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center