Re: [git pull] PCI changes for 2.6.34

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 16:19:45 EST

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Yinghai wrote:

> Maybe we need to put back pci=try=num back
> And set pci_try_num=1 by default

Well, why does your patch trigger any changes at all in the first place?
The old situation was fine. All the resources were mapped.

Sure, there were ROM resources that aren't even enabled, but that is
_normal_. Iirc, several graphics chips actually alias the ROM resources
with the regular memory-mapped IO resource, ie you can't even map both of
them at the same time at some separate address, because the hardware
shares address decoding resources.

There's a reson PCI ROM resources are treated specially by the kernel.

And as far as I can see, all the other resources are already allocated
even without your patch. So there is some fundamental _bug_ there. This is
not about enabling/disabling your patch, this is about your patch
apparently simply being wrong.

But maybe I'm missing something.

Linus