Re: linux-next requirements

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 02:37:51 EST

Hi Ingo,

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:14:05 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [...] As long as that's the case, linux-next should build on them too.
>
> No, and IMO linux-next is clearly over-interpreting this bit. Linux is not
> supposed to build on all architectures. Maybe that's a core bit of a
> misunderstanding (on either my or on sfr's side) and it should be clarified

Well, we have no real problem then. The only architectures for which a
failure will stop new stuff getting into linux-next are the ones I
personally build while constructing the tree (x86, ppc and sparc). Once
something is in linux-next, even if it causes a build failure overnight,
I am loath to remove it again as it can cause pain for Andrew (who bases
-mm on linux-next).

I will still report such failures (if I have time to notice them - I
mostly hope that architecture maintainers will have a glance over the
build results themselves) and others do as well but such failures do not
generally cause any actions on my part (except in rare cases I may
actually fix the problem or put a provided fix patch in linux-next).

I would like to add arm to the mix of the architectures I build during
construction, but there is no wide ranging config that builds for arm and
building a few of the configs would just end up taking too much time.

Thanks for clarifying.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx