Re: linux-next requirements

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Feb 27 2010 - 04:40:30 EST

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [I have removed linux-tip-commits from the cc list]
>
> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:45:52 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Developers simply cannot be expected to build for 22 architectures, and
> > they shouldnt be.
>
> I have agreed with this point of yours several times. Why do you keep
> stating it?

If you agree with me then why do you put so much focus on cross-arch build
failures, versus other, more relevant forms of testing?

> > The thing is, last i checked you didnt even _test_ x86 as the first step
> > in your linux-next build tests. Most of your generic build bug reports are
> > against PowerPC. They create the appearance that x86 is a second class
> > citizen in linux-next.
>
> Lets see. Over the last 60 days, I have reported 37 build errors. Of
> these, 16 were reported against x86, 14 against ppc, 7 against other archs.

So only 43% of them were even relevant on the platform that 95+% of the Linux
testers use? Seems to support the points i made.

> Of the ppc reports, 10 would not affect x86 builds (due to being ppc
> specific problems or dependencies on implicit includes that do happen on
> x86). None of the reports against other arches would affect x86 builds.
>
> I also reported 31 warnings. 15 against x86, 15 against ppc and 1 against
> both. Of those only reported against ppc, 13 did not affect x86.
>
> So of my "generic" reports, 4 errors and 2 warnings were reported against
> ppc, 16 errors and 15 warnings again x86.
>
> Also, I am not sure how reports of 37 build errors and 32 warnings over 60
> days can tax the resources of our developer base. [...]

Note that out of those 37 build errors only a small minority were caused by
any tree i co-maintain. (i dont have the precise numbers but it's below 5)

Why? Because i cross-build before pushing to linux-next. I bug people about
cross-arch build failures, and about the patch flow delays and hickups this
causes. Without that you'd see twice that many cross-build failures.

Which in itself is not bad of course (any fix is a good fix) - except the
forced prioritization and its place in the workflow: it sends the wrong
testing message.

It sends the message that building on N architectures is more important than
for the code to work for real people. I've had good developers waste their
time trying to set up cross-build testing environments and complain to me how
this complicates their testing.

> [...] Most of these are fairly trivial to fix (as is shown by how quick
> they are fixed. Usually the developer has just forgotten to test the
> !CONFIG_SOMETHING case or used some function without explicitly including
> the file that declares it.
>
> As to my perceived pro-PowerPC and anti-x86 bias, you are the only one who
> has even mentioned it to me.

Have you asked me recently for example?

> Anyway, I sick of these discussions. If people see the way I do linux-next
> as a problem, then they can find someone else. That is not the impression I
> gained at the Kernel Summit and (apart from these occasional "discussions")
> I am quite happy to continue.

Not sure how you jump from my observations to "I will quit if you do this". I
am simply pointing out problems as i see them - as i do that with every piece
of the workflow we use. I have expressed my views numerous times about where i
find linux-next useful and positive - and it's sure a net positive.

Ingo