Re: Buggy variable-length array code...or compiler?

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 18:23:51 EST

IIRC C99 allows VLAs to not be freed immediately, but at function
termination, which makes things way simpler to implement for compilers.
I've noticed it on Solaris and cell's spugcc.

Steven J. Magnani, le Thu 25 Feb 2010 17:17:29 -0600, a écrit :
> 1. There is a coding error in dmatest

It needs to get out of the function from times to times to free the
VLAs.

> 2. There is a bug specific to Microblaze gcc compiler(s) [mine is 4.1.2]
> 3. There is a bug generic to specific versions of gcc compilers
> 4. There is a bug generic to all gcc compilers

I've usually seen gcc free VLAs as soon as possible, so I believe it's
only a few targets.

Samuel