Re: [RFC] nfs: use 2*rsize readahead size

From: Wu Fengguang
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 01:13:01 EST

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 01:22:15PM +0800, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:18:22PM +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:

> > > That's doing a cached read out of the server cache, right? You
> >
> > It does not involve disk IO at least. (The sparse file dataset is
> > larger than server cache.)
>
> It still results in effectively the same thing: very low, consistent
> IO latency.
>
> Effectively all the test results show is that on a clean, low
> latency, uncongested network an unloaded NFS server that has no IO
> latency, a client only requires one 512k readahead block to hide 90%
> of the server read request latency. I don't think this is a
> particularly good test to base a new default on, though.
>
> e.g. What is the result with a smaller rsize? When the server
> actually has to do disk IO? When multiple clients are reading at
> the same time so the server may not detect accesses as sequential
> and issue readahead? When another client is writing to the server at
> the same time as the read and causing significant read IO latency at
> the server?
>
> What I'm trying to say is that while I agree with your premise that
> a 7.8MB readahead window is probably far larger than was ever
> intended, I disagree with your methodology and environment for
> selecting a better default value. The default readahead value needs
> to work well in as many situations as possible, not just in perfect
> 1:1 client/server environment.

Good points. It's imprudent to change a default value based on one
single benchmark. Need to collect more data, which may take time..

> > > might find the results are different if the server has to read the
> > > file from disk. I would expect reads from the server cache not
> > > to require much readahead as there is no IO latency on the server
> > > side for the readahead to hide....
> >
> > Sure the result will be different when disk IO is involved.
> > In this case I would expect the server admin to setup the optimal
> > readahead size for the disk(s).
>
> The default should do the right thing when disk IO is involved, as

Agreed.

> almost no-one has an NFS server that doesn't do IO.... ;)

Sure.

> > It sounds silly to have
> >
> > client_readahead_size > server_readahead_size
>
> I don't think it is - the client readahead has to take into account
> the network latency as well as the server latency. e.g. a network
> with a high bandwidth but high latency is going to need much more
> client side readahead than a high bandwidth, low latency network to
> get the same throughput. Hence it is not uncommon to see larger
> readahead windows on network clients than for local disk access.

Hmm I wonder if I can simulate a high-bandwidth high-latency network
with e1000's RxIntDelay/TxIntDelay parameters..

> Also, the NFS server may not even be able to detect sequential IO
> patterns because of the combined access patterns from the clients,
> and so the only effective readahead might be what the clients
> issue....

Ah yes. Even though the upstream kernel can handle it well, one may
run a pretty old kernel, or other UNIX systems. If it really happens,
the default 512K won't behave too bad, but may well be sub-optimal.

Thanks,
Fengguang