Re: [kernel] Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
Date: Sat Feb 13 2010 - 16:42:39 EST

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Avi Kivity wrote:

On 02/13/2010 11:59 AM, Stefan Richter wrote:
Jean Delvare wrote:
...snip...
As a side note: 7zip, a very popular and Free archiving tool for
Windows, supports xz since its version 9 which is currently available as
a beta. So, WRT the need to get an extra unarchiver, xz is just as
accessible to Windows users as gz is.

Can you even unpack a kernel tree on Windows? There are some files (e.g. net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_{ecn,ECN}.c) which conflict on a case-preserving filesystem.
What filesystem version are you talking about ?
ntfs as of recent windows is not case insensitive .
What do you mean by , "a case-preserving filesystem" ?

Now whether or not the tools available are case insensitive is another matter .

Hth , JimL