Re: Brightness control for MacBook Pro - Nvidia 9400

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 09:15:12 EST

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:18:28PM +0100, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Soeren Sonnenburg <sonne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I am booting a MacBookPro5,3 using elilo and efifb. Now I'd like to use
> > pommed to control display brightness (which won't work). Digging around
> > in mbp_nvidia_bl.c I figured out that tries to control the geforce 9600M
> > instead of the currently active geforece 9400m
>
> If you know how one can determine which GPU is active, let me know. I
> don't have this information at the moment.

There's a _DSM method in the ACPI tables that you need to execute.

> I'm not sure this method actually works without the legacy BIOS. IIRC
> that method was determined by reverse engineering the Windows drivers,
> which means the legacy BIOS was in use.

Ah, yes - sorry, I'd forgotten that this used the smi horror. nouveau
should drive the chip brightness natively, so it's probably better to
figure out why it's breaking rather than worry about this...

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx