[viaum@sheridanc.on.ca: 2.6.33-rc7 (baremetal) fails to restartIntel i7 860 with P55 chipset.]

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Date: Thu Feb 11 2010 - 16:17:07 EST

Has anybody seen similar issues with their above mentioned motherboard?

The user has tried the 2.6.32.8 (no work), 2.6.33-rc7(no work), and
2.6.26-2(Debian - works).

I've asked him to pass in different reboot= arguments but no luck. Are
there any outstanding issues in regards to reboot that are known to the
community?

Thanks.

P.S.
Here is what the user said:
> > 2.6.32.8http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.8.tar.bz2
> > I will download the tarball and compile it ASAP.
> >
> > **EDIT**
> >
> > This kernel does the same hang. The good news is this might just be an issue with my hardware right? The bad news is I am not sure on what to try next. Has anyone got any suggestions?
> >

> Try the latest one. 2.6.33-rc<soimething> IT might have a fix for this.

OK. I will download that tarball and compile it ASAP.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.bz2

**EDIT**

Same story as the last, reboot still hangs even with the newest kernel available.
Again the oddest thing is how the Debian 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel reboots fine. Is
it possible that Linux does not yet support my style motherboard? Is it Debian
Lenny? Is there an issue with my /etc/inittab

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

If anyone else is running a similar hardware setup, what kernel are you using,
what kernel arguments do you pass at bootup, and does your Linux hang on
reboot?