Re: [RFC 0/2] fix dma_map_sg not to do barriers for each buffer

From: Abhijeet Dharmapurikar
Date: Wed Feb 10 2010 - 18:10:48 EST

Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
From: Abhijeet Dharmapurikar <adharmap@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Please refer to the post here
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/4/347

These changes are to introduce barrierless dma_map_area and dma_unmap_area and
use them to map the buffers in the scatterlist. For the last buffer, call
the normal dma_map_area(aka with barriers) effectively executing the barrier
at the end of the operation.

Note that the barrierless operations are implemented for few arm
architectures only and I would implement for others once these are okayed by the
community.
So when you add these interfaces for other architectures, you will also
update Documentation/DMA-API.txt, right??

Do we need barrier-less interfaces for anything other than the dma_*_sg
functions?

I think, dma_*_sg are the only ones that could benefit from barrier-less interfaces.