RE: [Q] i2c-taos-evm bus driver

From: H Hartley Sweeten
Date: Tue Feb 09 2010 - 11:38:47 EST

On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:17 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Hartley,

Hello

> Please send i2c-specific questions to the linux-i2c list, as specified
> in MAINTAINERS.

Sorry about that.

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:15:26 -0500, H Hartley Sweeten wrote:
>> Is the i2c-taos-evm bus driver broken?
>
> No, it works reasonably fine. I was using it myself no later than one
> month ago. Out of curiosity, with which exact evaluation module do you
> plan to use it?

I'm not actually...

I am trying to figure out how a serio driver actually gets "hooked" to a
serial port. The i2c-taos-evm driver looked simple enough to play with
in order to figure it out. I was trying to follow the Documentation in
order to use it and ran into the issue below.

>> The Documentation says to use the following to tell the kernel that
>> the device is on the first serial port:
>>
>> # inputattach --taos-evm /dev/ttyS0
>>
>> When I try that I get:
>>
>> inputattach: invalid mode
>>
>> I checked the source for inputattach on my system (Debian 5.0) and
>> --taos-evm is missing. And I have not been able to locate a newer
>> version of the user-space utility.
>>
>> Should this driver be marked broken?
>
> No. What is broken is input-utils' upstream. I tried submitting patches
> 2.5 years ago:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=3063&atid=303063
>
> As you can see, nobody took care of them. Apparently I then did not
> even bother sending the one adding support for the TAOS EVM.

Yeah. I did a bit of searching yesterday and it appears the user space
tools development went stale around the end of the 2.4 - start of the 2.6
kernel.

> The patch in question is still applied to the openSUSE version of the
> input-utils package. If you have access to the openSUSE build system,
> you can see it here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=input-utils-add-taos-evm-support.patch&package=input-utils&project=openSUSE%3A11.0

> In case you don't, I'm attaching it too. I might add it to the patch
> tracking system on sourceforge too. Not that I really expect upstream
> to pick it in a timely manner, but at least other distributions would
> see it and may decide to include it.
>
> Hope that helps,

That helps. Thanks.

Do you know if there is a way to make the connection in kernel?

Also, do you know if there is any information on the serio stuff
available anywhere? Other than just reading the kernel source I
have not been able to locate anything.

Thanks for the reply,
Hartley