Re: Possible bug in insmod or the kernel?

From: Larry Homes
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 - 13:13:47 EST

No, the problem is not that the quotes are showing. The problem is
that as soon as it sees a space, it assumes the following is the next
parameters name. So for example:

[root@myhost modules]# insmod hello3.ko name="john smith"
insmod: error inserting 'hello3.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

[root@myhost modules]# insmod hello3.ko "name=john smith"
insmod: error inserting 'hello3.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

In both cases, dmesg shows:

hello3: Unknown parameter `smith'

I looked at the params.c code and it seems like the above should work.